Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Tuesday Threads With Karen

 
I've been busy in my sewing room again... this time I've made a sewing machine mat.  I've used the Shop Hop fabrics designed by Art Impressions creator Bonnie Krebs, that are available through Henry Glass Co.
Crafting can be a messy business!  So anything that can help me stay tidy & organized is a plus - and if it makes my craft room prettier?  Even better!
 I had seen ideas like this on Pinterest, so I decided to design my own, and really wanted it to feature the fabulous "sewing notion" pattern that comes in the collection:
The finished mat is 19" square, large enough for my machine to sit on it comfortably, and the front portion that hangs down is 7" deep.  The pink print is the backing, so after sewing the front pieces together, I cut two separate pieces of Therm O Web's High Loft Fusible Fleece (love this stuff!).  *This was key to getting the mat to fold cleanly along the seam when it sits on my sewing desk, allowing the mat to bend easily, and I quilted "in the ditch" of the seam which also helped.
After fusing the fleece to my fabrics (this is such a plus, as the fleece doesn't move around at all while you quilt)... I used my high-tech quilting method to diagonally quilt the entire piece, forming 2" squares.
A few months ago (January?) I did a post about fabric boxes... I used the exact same method to make a thread/scrap catcher to attach to the mat.  It's pretty small - only about 5" high, and I fused the inside with Therm O Web's Fusible Tricot Medium Weight Interfacing to give it some body.  I sewed it onto the left front of the mat, and added a triple pocket onto the left side, that will hold sewing notions.
I finished the edge off with some contrasting bias tape, and set up my new sewing mat!!
I'll be back next month with a matching project!




3 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute !!!Love this .

Unknown said...

Love how this looks.

Allie said...

Oh this is way too cute!! What a great project!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails